~ Home Page
~ Background
A brief history of
how the project
came to be . . .
~ Current Work
After being placed
on the back burner
for years, the
project resumes!
~ Favorite Links
~ Photo Gallery
~ Desktop Images
~ Email Me

Project Background

Beginning The Rebuild . . .

Click to Enlarge I was not going to keep the existing diffs. I needed something that was stronger and able to accept gears that were a little more highway friendly. I found a Dana 30 from a '79 CJ5 and a Dana 44 from a '69 CJ5 in the local junkyard. The front Dana 30 offered disc brakes and I put an 11" drum kit on the rear. This is going to mean much better braking when you compare the 9" drums it had originally.

I finished the differentials with all new bearings and seals as well as new 3.54 gears. I know the 3.54 gears are not going to offer a lot of offroad benefit but this jeep will be used on road a lot more than off.

Click To Enlarge The completed differentials also received new Warn manual locking hubs before finishing the installation. The new suspension consisted of Rancho 1" lift leaf springs with RS 5000 shocks. Not pictured here, I added a 2" shackle lift to make for 3" total lift.

The new brakes should make for a much more relaxed stopping effort. If you have ever driven a jeep with 9" drums al the way around, you know what I mean. The new brakes included rotors, and calipers up front and a complete drum kit for the rear.

~ Quick Links ~

The Early Days
The Disassembly
The Rebuild
The Drivetrain